Upon seeing the title for this recipe, many people may think, “Eew. Black beans in dessert? No, thank you!” But, if you didn’t know the brownies had beans in them, you would probably really enjoy this delicious treat and may even ask for the recipe. Sure, they are healthy and may not taste as sweet as traditional brownies, but adding peppermint essential oil definitely makes them quite appealing! Go ahead—give them a try. You probably won’t regret it.
Black Bean Peppermint Brownies
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. sugar (or increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup.)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 4–5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips + extra for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×9 or 8×8 pan.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the quick oats until they reach a fine consistency. Add the black beans, and blend until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the chocolate chips. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, and pour the batter into the prepared cooking pan.
- Sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top, if desired.
- Cook the brownies for about 30 minutes. Brownies are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
Source: Adapted from http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/